Re: mount network drive in fstab?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:09:27 -0500
roby <sobrecarga@adelphia.net> wrote:

> > Add the following entry in your fstab file.
> >
> > //server/share /mnt/mount_point smbfs default,rw 0 0
> >
> > where server is your Windows server name, share is the share exported from
> > that server and mount_point is the folder where you are going to mount it.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > rrs
>
> Is linux now capable of *writing* to ntfs volumes?

That is only relevant if you are sharing an NTFS volume from a Linux machine.

The client machines are writing to the network file system being used,
that is all they have to understand.

If the OS on the machine providing the share does not have the ability
to write to NTFS, none of the machines accessing that share across the
network will be able to write to it. Whether they understand NTFS or
not.

If the OS on the machine providing the share does have the ability to
write to NTFS, all of the accessing that share across the network
(assuming they have the proper permission) will be able to write to the
share. Whether they understand NTFS or not.

Captive can be used in Linux to provide support for writing to an NTFS
volume, but from what I have seen it is a work in progress, a little
quirky, and I would not consider it ready for use in a production
environment.

Later, Seeker