Sarge post gnome install problems

I just installed gnome on a Sarge (currently update/upgraded) that had
been enlightenment.  I've encountered several problems since.

1.  When I reboot, /dev/null, /dev/urandom, /dev/random (and possibly
others) have 0660 permissions, disallowing access by several init.d
scripts that want to write to /dev/null, among other things, until I
manually change the permissions.

2. ssh is broken (can't authenticate on remote system) and tls in pine
and exim are broken (can't use tls for sending mail).  When I try to
use tls in exim, I get "PRNG is not seeded."

3. When I try to open a terminal in gnome I get "There was an error
creating a child process for this terminal" and there is no shell in
the window.

I don't see anything in the logs I've checked (syslog, messages,
auth, daemon).  I'd appreciate any help or pointers.  Thanks.

Don