Re: partition table numberings

On Sunday 20 Mar 2005 4:55 pm, you wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hda1               1          18      144553+  83  Linux
>
> assuming hda is your / partition, why isn't it set to "bootable"
>  - some bootloaders care .. most dont ..

I don't know. It's been working even without the flag set to "bootable".
And I use only grub as the bootloader.

> > /dev/hda2   *          19         444     3421845    b  W95 FAT32
>
> i assume you install all windoze apps into D: as oppsed to C:
> ( or did all that change now that the 2nd partition can be C: )

I have only one Windows drive i.e. mapped to E: and that is just to upgrade
the firmware and do some program checks that I code in Python for
compatibility with Windows

> > /dev/hda3             445        3648    25736130    5  Extended
> > /dev/hda5             445         507      506016   82  Linux swap
>
> why ... do you expect lots of swap ??

The partition table that I posted is of my laptop. What I understand is that
while hibernating the system the os saves the image into the swap partition.
I had some problems earlier with hibernation when I had only one swap
partition, that is why I made room for another 1.5GB swap partition.
I have 768mb of Physical RAM which is enough IMHO for a notebook setup.

> > /dev/hda6             508        1966    11719386   83  Linux
>
> must be your mpeg movies in hda6

This is my /home/ partition.
No, I use Maildir. And I also have lots of documents. I made this partition
big with an assumption of using it for the next 3 years.

> > /dev/hda7            2514        3648     9116856   83  Linux
>
> your new root eh ... humm ...

Yes the new root. Previously it was /dev/hda8

> > /dev/hda8            2159        2513     2851506   83  Linux
>
> i assume /home than ..

No, it was root. Now it's the 2.7GB /usr/local/ partition.

> > /dev/hda9            1967        2158     1542208+  82  Linux swap
>
> more swap still ??  1.5GB of swap ???
>  - you will be running super super slow when you need more memory

See my post up and comment on it if any.

>  - adding more memory is super cheap compared to running in 1.5GB
>  of swap

Yes, that's why I added 512mb more.

> > Partition table entries are not in disk order
>
> yup ... aka whacky ...
>
> > Is this something to worry about?
>
> yes and no ...
>
> yes if you care about the system running faster and "better"
>
> no if you dont care as long as it sort works for now
>
> > I just modified my partition table using
> > parted to make a new swap partition. Previously / was /dev/hda8 and now
> > it's /dev/hda7. Everything is working fine for me.
>
> good ... sounds like parted also changed your etc/fstab to match
> from the old /  to the new /

No, it didn't. I did it manually. parted isn't designed to do that. Yes, it
indeed reminds you.

> > Just the message, "Partition table entries are not in disk order".
> > Is it something to worry about? Will it slowly damage my disk?
>
> probably ... lots of head movement

I think the head movement would have been earlier too when I hadn't made room
for the swap partition. Isn't it so ?

Thanks for the reply.

rrs
- --