Re: xhost working differently under Debian?!

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 23:25 -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Eric Lavarde wrote:
>
> > under HP-UX and SuSE Linux flavors, I'm used to do the following
> > - open two consoles
> > - on one type 'xhost + localhost'
>
> try   xhost +localhost
>
> > - on the other 'su - someotheruser' and 'DISPLAY=:0 xclock' (or some
> > more useful X command).
>
> try DISPLAY=:0.0   ( localhost is optional for localhost:0.0
> or  DISPLAY=remote:0.0
>
> 	0.1 or was it 1.0 if you have a dual-monitor rig
> 	or with xinerama, it wont matter
>
> remote#  xhost +localhost  -- or --
> remote#  xhost +other-pc
>
> when using "your pc" to login into the "remote pc", use ssh
> and nothing silly like telnet/ftp
>
> > I tried on one side:
> > - xhost + localhost
> > - xhost + localhost.localdomain
> > - xhost + 127.0.0.1
>
> i think no space after the "+"
>
> xhost will also list what hosts it allows to connect to it from afar

Or if you always want to be able to display from those host, you could
always make a file called:

	/etc/X0.hosts

add either IP addresses or resolvable host names one per line, like:

	localhost.localdomain
	127.0.0.1
	some.dnsname.domain.com
	192.168.1.33
	10.10.10.126

If you don't put localhost in there, depending on your configuration X
you might not be able to display anything you are trying to run. By
default Debian allows only the .Xauth with matching credentials to
display on your display.

Without X0.hosts, you are just fine, but will have to add hosts every
time you login.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is