swsusp swap space limitation

Hello Everybody,

Is there a rule on the amount of "swap space" while trying to do a
hibernate ?

Here's my problem,

I have a Compaq Presario 2203 Notebook with kernel 2.6.11 with Debian
installed. Software Suspend (Version 1) works fine for me.
I have 768mb of RAM where as my SWAP partition is 512mb.
When I reboot my computer and suspend, it works but at the next attempt it
doesn't suspend. Is it because of the swap space constraint.

This is what I've found from the Linux-Laptop howto:
- ------------
Software Suspend

Software suspend enables the possibilty of suspendig machine. It doesn't
need APM. You may suspend your machine by either pressing Sysrq-d or with
'swsusp' or 'shutdown -z (patch for sysvinit needed). It creates an image
which is saved in your active swaps. By the next booting the kernel detects
the saved image, restores the memory from it and then it continues to run
as before you've suspended. If you don't want the previous state to
continue use the 'noresume' kernel option.
- ------------

So from the above paragraph what I understand is that it creates an image of
my system, present in the RAM, and saves it to the swap partition.

If that's right,damn! I can't repartition the harddrive now because I have
lots of data. What I can do is, split one of the partition to add another
swap partition (say 2gb) to the system.

My present swap partition is /dev/hda5. I can spare another partition
of /dev/hda8. My swsusp config in the kernel is hardcoded to /dev/hda5.

But as mentioned in the above documentation, Will it automatically save the
image across the active swaps (which would be two swaps in my case) ?

But then,
AFAIK, the kernel accepts only one partition as the argument. So which
partition will it read ?
Are there any other suggestions?

TIA,

rrs