Re: Sound in Deb Sarge KDE 3.3.2

Hello

Bill Day (<billday@otecom.net>) wrote:

> I have working sound, but for some odd reason I have to disable aRTs
> to be able to play quake3, once arts is disabled I loose sound in
> KDE..
> What kind of work around would you susggest for this?

I have exactly the same problem with both Quake 3 and Return To Castle
Wolfenstein. It works if I use OSS (my card /does/ support multiple
sound sources). Even if arts is activated, Quake 3 has sound.

If I use ALSA and the ALSA OSS emulation, Quake 3 reports /dev/dsp to be
busy if arts is running - other apps like xmms with the OSS output
plugin do not have the problem, so I suppose this is a problem of Quake
3. The easiest solution for me was to set a smaller timeout (10
seconds) for arts in the KDE sound system configuration. After 10
seconds of inactivity, arts will give up control of the device. Another
problem I encountered was that my media player amarok keeps arts busy
all the time, even if I stop the player. So I need to shutdown amarok
when I want to play Quake 3 or RTCW and wait for 10 seconds. The other
way would be to use OSS instead of ALSA - to do this, remove the
following packages:

alsa-oss
alsa-base
alsa-utils
alsa-modules-$(uname -r)

The next time you reboot, the OSS driver should be loaded automatically.
By the way: do you use the latest version of Quake 3? Mine is outdated,
but I only want to download the newest version if it solves the sound
problem.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270