openGL and mesa

Sorry to ask what might be obvious to others but I can't understand the
available information.

I'm trying to install vis5d+ on a Debian box (2.4.27-1-686-smp kernel &
'testing' apt updates) and ./configure says I need "to install a 3D
graphics library, preferably
the free OpenGL replacement, Mesa"

When I look at the available packages there's an enormity of them and I
cannot distinguish the differences. I've `apt-get install`ed 'mesag3'
but that's not helped in the configure stage. I'm wondering if I need
more packages and whether it matters which I choose (eg is it dependent
on my graphics card or my XF86Config settings or theTimeOfDay?)

All advice most gratefully received,
--
Michael Bane
Atmospheric Physics Group