Re: upgrade sarge from 2.0 to 2.6

Andrey Andreev wrote:
John L Fjellstad wrote:

Andrey Andreev <andreev@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:

$ fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.20050224.0 --initrd
kernel_image

What's the point of using initrd if you are custom compiling your
kernel?

No point in doing that, really, if you intend to always compile your kernels. My intent was, however, to get mkinitrd properly configured, so when I, at some point, upgrade the kernel with a prebuilt binary one, I would get a working configuration. Getting a working configuration with my most necessary modules (e.g. SATA) in initrd has the benefit of allowing more functional upgrade paths. At least I see it that way. Am I wrong?

There's no penalty for using initrd, right? I would not care about some small delay at boot time.

Andro

There is no penalty as far as i now. An initrd is handy if you don't know in advance what hardware the kernel will be used for and thus you want to target a broad user base or if you have root on lvm. Otherwise you won't be able to boot.

Regards,
Benedict