can't dial in with minicom to Debian Sarge

Hi,

I have a PC with a Aceex external v92 modem that I have used as a dial in
server under Fedora Core.

Now I have switched to Debian. However, now I have a problem. I found that I
cannot dial in to this machine via the modem.

I did the install about 1  - 1.5 months  ago. I used the debian installer RC2
to install Sarge. Initially I used the 2.6.8 kernel that comes with it. I
could not dial out with the 2.6.8 Sarge kernel. However it works fine with the
the 2.4 version kernel -  2.4.27 (I think) - and now the modem dials out
fine. But dial in does not work.

When I dial in, the modem answers and then negotiates (" the noise") and then
appears to connect (the minicom window says connected and I see a string

CONNECT 26400/ARQ/V34/LAPM/v42BIS.

but I never get a login prompt.

I have tried different strings in the /etc/inittab

T0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS0
(as suggested by the file) or
S0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS0
S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS0
S0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS0
S0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x9  ttyS0

i tried the string I used in Fedora
S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -s 57600 /dev/ttyS0

and still no login.

Initially I did not change anything in the Debian /etc/mgetty/login.config
file. Then, since I want a shell login, I commented out the /AutoPPP/ line in
that file and all that remains is
*      -   -     /bin/login @
which should give me that prompt :(. Still no help.

I tried with the -x9 switch to get some output but didnt see any helpful
output in the  /var/log/mgetty/ logs.

When I dial in with minicom. I hear "the noise"
"NOISE" go on and then there is a negotiation and then
the status line on the bottom of hyperterminal says that I am connected!
But there is no login prompt in the dialin dialog screen.

In fact the modem lights go on when the call comes in, the modem answers, so
what are the kernel and mgetty doing?

The lights are

cts aa cd oh rd sd tr mr

while waiting they are
*    *  -    -    -  -    *  *

when 'connected' they are

where * is lit up and - is off.

How can I monitor the negotiation from the point of view of the debian
recipient of the call?

This is very difficult cause i need to log in to the system, and I dont want
to reinstall fedora just to solve this, as this is not the only thing the
machine is used for.

Thanks for your help!

Mitchell