Re: Switching from OSS to Alsa

Tong wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:36:14 -0500, Tong wrote:

Thank you very much, Andreas. Yes, that's all it takes to replace OSS with
alsa...

I tested with "play a.wav", but all else seem to need more twisting:

$ ogg123 b.ogg
Audio Device:   OSS audio driver output
Error: Cannot open device oss.

xmms -- no card found.

mplayer -- Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

So, any system wide setting I need to twist? Or I should tackle each tool
individually?

thanks

Make sure you have loaded snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss into the kernel.
This will let ALSA emulate the legacy OSS interface.  Some apps are
still flaky with ALSA and that is the best way to make sure that they
work properly.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez