Re: Alsa, the easy way

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:06:59 +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:

>>> Is there anywhere I can refer to for an easy way to replace OSS with
>>> alsa?
>
> apt-get install alsa-oss alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-modules-2.4-386
> kernel-image-2.4-386
>
> Make sure that the OSS driver is not in /etc/modules, and that you don't
> have any alias sound-slot-0 entry in /etc/modutils/*. Unload the OSS
> driver (or reboot), login at the command line, and run alsaconf (if you
> use discover, this is probably not necessary, it will load the driver
> automaticallc). Run alsamixer to adjust the volume. That should be all.

Thank you very much, Andreas. Yes, that's all it takes to replace OSS with
alsa. Just for the archive, here are all that I did:

$ lsmod | grep _audio
via82cxxx_audio        17404   0

$ grep -i via /etc/modules || echo no
no

$ grep sound-slot /etc/modutils/* || echo no
no

debfoster alsa-oss alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-modules-2.4-k7
kernel-image-2.4-k7

rmmod via82cxxx_audio

then reboot.

PS. I have discover1, in this case, running alsaconf will give me:
No supported PnP or PCI card found.

Thanks again Andreas!