upgrade sarge to 2.6 continued - hypothetical

I'm pleased by the fast coherent responses!!

Now, if I had compiled the present 2.4 kernel, what steps are needed to get
to 2.6 kernel? I'm asking these questions because I want to be able to
recommend Debian to small business clients who may be persuaded to abandon
Microsoft and use open source...so I am anticipating a bunch of
administrative tasks that would relate to Microsoft administration like
updates, upgrades, installing new devices etc.