RE: PHP5

>> I have never used these repositories, but I assume you need to:
>>
>> add the repository to /etc/apt/sources.list
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get install (/program/)
>>

>is there a big difference from php5 to php4?

Two things... the suggested repository did not work for me, it failed on
an uninstalled and uninstallable package whose name I cannot remember at
the moment.

And, there are significant differences between 4 & 5 depending on what
you do. The OO model is completely reworked. There's a new enhanced
MySQL interface (MySQLi). Other than that, if I'm not mistaken, it
should be mostly under the hood stuff.

Oh, and XML support is supposed to be greatly simplified.