Re: Security and Testing

On Thursday, 17.03.2005 at 13:37 +0000, Graham Smith wrote:

> [...]
>
> Perhaps I was a little flippant saying it was horribly out of date. I
> started off with woody but I use my main server box for more than just
> Apache and SSH (funds don't allow for two boxes at present) and
> getting backports of all the other stuff it runs would be a major
> hassle.
>
> Thanks for the information. Do you have any other good security tips?

Pay special attention to the service you are exposing to the public.
Minimize these and minimize the features available within them.

If you're exposing SSH to the world, it doesn't hurt to run in on a
non-standard port (this *is* 'security by obscurity, but it's simply
another layer), only allow public-key authentication rather than
passworded logins etc.

If you are running anything dynamic on your web site, which accepts
random input, secure these scripts/apps.  I've heard many people say
"I'm only running Apache", but what they really mean is they're running
Apache, phpBB, php-something-else, various custom CGI scripts ...  These
all need to take care to sanitize input.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org