Re: wireless PCI card [SOLVED]

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:39:18 -0500, Jason Rennie <jrennie@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:35:56AM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> > Do note that the 1.0.4.3 is VERY UNSTABLE. If you're looking for
> > stability, get the older 1.0.3 firmware, or try ndiswrapper (the
> > default throughput of the kernel drivers is about 66% that of the
> > default throughput of ndiswrapper, unless you tweak it to run in
> > G-only/Nitro mode).
>
> Thanks for the advice.  I'm experiencing some slowness; it probably
> has more to do with connectivity than the driver, but I'd like to
> check out all my options.  To use ndiswrapper, do I "just" need to
> compile the ndiswrapper kernel module and load the WinXP driver (.inf
> file) for my card?  Any tips you can think of?

More or less it's like that. Get the latest Windows XP drivers for
your prism54-based card, then upon installation of the ndiswrapper
utilities and the kernel module you can then install those drivers
(ndiswrapper has a setup utility for that).

While ndiswrapper provides faster throughput - I had one kernel panic
incident  (which never happened again since then) since I started
using it.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com