Re: wireless PCI card [SOLVED]

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:28:53 -0500, Jason Rennie <jrennie@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Some reading on mailing lists led me to try ndiswrapper.  I wasted a
> few hours building ndiswrapper kernel modules.  Turns out ndiswrapper
> was no help.  For those of you playing at home: don't try ndiswrapper.
>
> More reading revealed that chipsets like mine (Intersil ISL3890
> PrismGT) require "firmware".  The prism54 is the right module, but it
> requires firmware for the specific chipset.  During boot and when I
> ran "/etc/init.d/networking restart", I saw complaints to the effect
> of "request for firmware failed for isl3890".  Firmware for Prism
> GT/Duette is available here:

Do note that the 1.0.4.3 is VERY UNSTABLE. If you're looking for
stability, get the older 1.0.3 firmware, or try ndiswrapper (the
default throughput of the kernel drivers is about 66% that of the
default throughput of ndiswrapper, unless you tweak it to run in
G-only/Nitro mode).

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com