iwconfig not setting power options properly.

I've been trying to get my orinoco wireless card to powerdown on idle
for the past few days.  I know the command I am supposed to use is:
'iwconfig eth0 power timeout 15' and it worked the first couple of
times I tried it so I added

wireless-power timeout 15

to the eth0 entry in network/interfaces so that the eth0 block is:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid Berg
    wireless-power timeout 15

Again it seemed to be working except the next day I noticed that the
"power" led was blinking rapidly any time the card should have powered
down.  The data led is out.

Running iwconfig eth0 again I get in the Power Management line:

Power Management period:100ms  mode:All packets received

I had never set the period.  I had set the mode to unicast.  I don't
beleieve I've ever specified multicast or broadcast.  If I turn issue
iwconfig eth0 power off, the power management setting do go off and
the card behaves normaly.  Issuing iwconfig eth0 power timeout 15
brings the settings back to Power Management period:100ms  mode:All
packets received.

I've also tried commenting out the block in network/interfaces,
bringing down the interface, removing the card, restarting pcmcia,
then bringing the interface back up manually.  This produces the same
results.

Does anyone have any ideas?