webdav/ftp

I know this isn't exactly the right list to ask this on, but it is on a debian system so I thought I'd ask here first.

I know that on the apache mod_dav site, it says that the files must be readable/writable by the user running apache (www-data). However, we would like to keep FTP access and allow WebDAV access. There are obvious permissions problems with this set up because it can either be one way or the other.

Has anyone figured a work-around or alternative to this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Nate Kroll