Re: Wierd Character/Key Mapping After Upgrade on unstable

Hi Jan,

> Jan C. Nordholz <jckn@gmx.net> [2005-03-16 23:49]:

thanks for the answer.

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:34:45PM +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Until recently, I have not experienced any severe troubles while
> > working with unstable on my laptop.  But today, I realized that
> > the keymapping in vim does not work anymore as I was used to it
> > until yesterday, and neither do the titles of xterm/mozilla etc.
> > under fvwm.
> >
> > While using mutt, slrn and vim -- my primarily used applications
> > -- German umlauts are not displayed correctly.  --- They did,
> > however, until recently. --- Not only are they not displayed but
> > the following character is swallowed too.  Worst: My
> > meta-key-mappings in vim (<m-p> for example) do not work
> > anymore.....

> Locale en_US is working for you? Hmm, my vi was displaying umlauts
> in octal with en_US... it only started to work when I switched over
> to en_IE.

as I said, I have not changed anything in my configuration for the
last two weeks.  But suddenly, the mess with the characters began...

> Regarding the display issue, check if any of the LC_ environment
> variables are set... most importantly LC_CTYPE, which, IIRC, is the
> one that is considered when judging which characters are considered
> displayable and which not (=> octal in vi). If this setting differs
> from LANG (or is not set), try setting it to your LANG value (or
> experiment a little - generate en_IE and see if that changes
> anything).

uccellina:Shell!58> sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
Generating locales...
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
  de_CH.ISO-8859-1... done
  de_CH.UTF-8... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done
  fr_CH.UTF-8... done
  it_CH.UTF-8... done
  en_IE.ISO-8859-15@euro... done
  en_IE.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_IE.UTF-8@euro... done
  en_IE.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

Trying it out with
    LANG=en_IE
    LC_TYPE=en_IE

worked!

> OTOH, I'm not sure what's wrong with your meta key, as I don't use
> vim...

and the keymapping returned.  Strange that it worked until recently.

Thanks a lot!

wbr,
Lukas
- --