How to copy a dvd

Hi guys,
I haven't tried this yet but I'm forwarding a message a buddy of mine sent to me on the subject.

Tom

	This should get you started...

To burn/shrink dvd's:
	I have had reasonable luck with the fallowing programs:
	1. streamdvd/streamanalyze
	2. dvdauthor
	3. mkisofs
	4. cdrecord

Tommy, use "streamdvd" to extract the video and audio streams you want from the original DVD.  This will create a "vob"
file that you will then use as input for "dvdauthor" which will make a dvd-structure for you.  After you have the DVD structure
on your system you will create the ISO image with "mkisofs" and finally you will use "cdrecord" to burn it to disc.  Your
ISO should not be more than 4400 MB.

These are the steps and sample commands (in order):

	1. $ streamdvd -i /dev/dvd -t 1 -s 0xe0,0x80 -f 1.14 >the_movie.vob
		This will create the vob file on your disc, with the first video stream (0xe0) and the first audio stream (0x80).
		From the first title on your DVD (-t 1).  Also and very important, sometimes the title you select will not fit on
		a regular 4.7 Gb DVDR. So, you must requantize it.  That is what the "-f" flag is used for.  The 1.14 value is
		the quantization factor.  You can get the quantization factor by dividing the size of the video you have by the
		size of the video you need.  Or more easily, just use the streamanalyze command to give the value.  Do something
		like:
			$ streamanalyze -i /dev/dvd -t 1 -s 0xe0,0x80
			and this will print a bunch of info, the last thing on the list will be the quantization factor.

	 	2. $ dvdauthor -t -o dvd_output_dir the_movie.vob ; dvdauthor -T -o dvd_output_dir
		These steps will create the dvd structure and the required dvd IFO files.

	3. $ mkisofs -dvd-video -o my_final_dvd.iso -V MY_DVD_TITLE dvd_output_dir
		This step will create your final ISO file called my_final_dvd.iso.

	4. $ cdrecord -v dev=dvdrw -dao my_final_dvd.iso ; cdrecord -v dev=dvdrw -fix
		Now, you are done dude!

	You have to use them in the order listed above.  Read some docs for more info.

HTH!

	Two other very useful programs are: "transcode" and "vobcopy".  They will help you with other aspects of the DVD
	burning process.

To burn data DVD's:
	Yeah, all you have to do is make an ISO image and use cdrecord to burn to disc.  The same old way you use to burn
	CD's.  One thing though, you have to use the "-dao" option for cdrecord when burning and fix the disc after you
	are done writing to it.  Another program to look at is "growisofs"., it will easy let you create data DVD's
	on the fly.  The maximum size for a DVD ISO is around 4450 MB or 4700000000 bytes.

HTH!