Re: Other ways to read debian-user [was: Re: Re: Replying to "list-only" sorry my mistake]

Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 03/16/2005 09:40 AM, Roel Schroeven wrote:
>
>> Michael Z Daryabeygi wrote:
>

>> Many lists are available as newsgroups on gmane's news server; see
>> http://www.gmane.org for more information. I follow a number of mailing
>> lists that way, and I'm very happy with it.
>>
>> Just add a news account in Thunderbird and point it to news.gmane.org,
>> then subscribe to any newsgroups you're interested in. For example, this
>> mailing list is available via gmane in a newsgroup called
>> gmane.linux.debian.user.
>>
>> But in fact I think Thunderbird should provide a Reply-To-List function.
>

> Reply-To-List is complicated by the mail to newsgroup gateway; look at
> the headers to see.  You could submit a wishlist bug.

I have no problem with Thunderbird's handling of newsgroups; it's when I
try to read a real mailing list that I think Thunderbird falls somewhat
short. That's one of the reasons that I like newsgroups better than
mailing lists.

> Other ways to read this list include:
>
> Regular usenet newsgroup: linux.debian.user
> --> from Thunderbird, File-->New-->Account-->Newsgroup account...

I know, but messages posted to that newsgroup don't always find their
way back to the mailing list. Gmane doesn't seem to have that problem.

> I find the newsgroup best for me for managing the list volume.

Me too.

Roel Schroeven