Re: Full screen music software

2005. március 16. 16:12,
jeff elkins <jeffelkins@earthlink.net>
-> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:
> On Wednesday 16 March 2005 10:04 am, Jacob S wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:21:57 -0500
> >
> > jeff elkins <jeffelkins@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > > I currently have a debian sid box connected to a large screen LCD HDTV
> > > and stereo system. It's used mainly as an MP3 player/server. MP3
> > > playback in other rooms is accomplished via Zaurus 5500s running XMMS,
> > > connected to powered speakers. Currently, to play music via the
> > > central stereo, I either ssh to the server from my office PC to start
> > > XMMS playlists or I use a wireless keyboard and run XMMS directly from
> > > the large screen LCD. Which sucks, since the XMMS display can't be
> > > easily read from couch distance.
> > >
> > > To make a long story short, I'm looking for music playback software
> > > that will:
> > >
> > > 1. Run full screen, (the so-called "10 foot display") and be easily
> > > readable from the couch or chair. 2. Be controllable via a remote
> > > (LIRC?)
> > >
> > > I've tried MythTV's MythMusic module and it's way overkill for my
> > > needs and runs very slowly besides. Nowhere near as fast as XMMS. Any
> > > suggestions on software or pointers to any projects out there?
> >
> > Not to state the obvious, but have you tried double sizing xmms? (Click
> > the 'D' in the far left column of the display - it's very hard to see
> > with the default skin at close range.)
> >
> > Oh, and Xmms is also controllable via command line, if you don't mind
> > the lack of a GUI. It shouldn't be hard to increase the font size in an
> > xterm or similar. I use it for the play/stop/pause/forward/back controls
> > on my keyboard. See'man xmms' for more info.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Jacob
>
> Thanks Jacob. I hadn't tried that and it's an improvement.
>
> Still open for suggestions from anyone using a Linux PC as a media center.

Hi!

I'm not using my pc for a media center, but I could imagine that by using
mp3blaster. This is a console application, and it's able to load playlists.
It has a very clean interface, and you can simply define the font size for
your terminal. (Or if you are using Kde, you should try JuK. You can
configure the kwin wm to hide it's borders and switch that window totally
full screen).

Daniel

--
LeVA