Full screen music software

I currently have a debian sid box connected to a large screen LCD HDTV and
stereo system. It's used mainly as an MP3 player/server. MP3 playback in
other rooms is accomplished via Zaurus 5500s running XMMS, connected to
powered speakers. Currently, to play music via the central stereo, I either
ssh to the server from my office PC to start XMMS playlists or I use a
wireless keyboard and run XMMS directly from the large screen LCD. Which
sucks, since the XMMS display can't be easily read from couch distance.

To make a long story short, I'm looking for music playback software that will:

1. Run full screen, (the so-called "10 foot display") and be easily readable
from the couch or chair. 2. Be controllable via a remote (LIRC?)

I've tried MythTV's MythMusic module and it's way overkill for my needs and
runs very slowly besides. Nowhere near as fast as XMMS. Any suggestions on
software or pointers to any projects out there?

Thanks!