Re: System recovery nearing completion

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 04:31:12PM -0500, Josh Narins wrote:
> I hit Ctrl-C, but only after typing rm -rf in /usr/share (tiny hard
> drive, thought I was in /usr/share/doc).

Ouch!

> Machine is pretty much back in working order (some complaints about
> debconf and defoma fixed by downloading packages and reinstalling).
>
> X is working, Xnethack, for example, works, but not mozilla nor xchat.
>
> Mozilla seems to leave no error log (checked .xsession-errors,
> /var/log/XFree.., what else).
>
> man gives the error
> groff: can't find `DESC' file
> groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
>
> Any tips on how to proceed?

Exactly what you should expect to find in /var/share relly depends on
which packages you have installed... Tripping over errors like the one
above is not really something you have to continue doing for months and
months down he line...

Why not just reinstall every package?

    # COLUMNS=2000 dpkg -l | \
        grep '^ii' | \
        awk '{print $2;}' | \
        xargs apt-get --reinstall install
?

Of course, you do run the risk of ending up newer versions of the
packages than you had before, but it should still be a working system...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com