Re: [Fwd: KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse]-Problem Solved-Partially-then finally

Leonard Chatagnier(lenc@ruralcomm.com) is reported to have said:

<--<snip>-->

Please trim your posts!  Most of us use threaded mail readers and we
already have all the posts in the thread.  Hint - install mutt....

> Wayne, thank you for the clue on network/interfaces.  When I read your
> message, I commented
> out the two tunneling commands as shown below and booted sarge:
>
> lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
> # The loopback interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
> installation# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
> #auto tunl0               #####Commented out
> #iface tunl0 inet static         #####Commented out
>        address 192.168.1.1
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>        network 192.168.1.0
>        broadcast 192.168.1.255

I would comment out all of the above, not just the first line. JMO
Oh, and the sl0 stuff as well.

> lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$
>
> After rebooting, wvdialed and apt-get update on console and the download
> started immediately.  I didn't see anything about sl0 in the file, but
> it works now.  I vaguely remember, during a debconf process for
> networking while installing the sarge kernel image, accepting the
> default IP address numbers.  A mistake, as I have no network except for
> a dial-up modem.  This is one of the big bug-a-boos for me with
> Debian-never enough info for the newbie to make an intelegent choice.
> However, when I went to KDE and
> started the Mozilla browser, I still get the URL not found message
> indicating I still have some DNS issues.
> Also, this message could not be sent via my SMPT account-send mail
> error-unable to connect to SMPT servr.  I would appreciate any more
> suggestions on this.

Are you, in fact, using sendmail?  If so I can't help because I quit
using that years ago.  Now using exim3 (because I couldn't get exim4
to sent any mail!) :-(.  Setting up exim3 is a breeze and I can help
you with that.

> For the Debian users, especially newbies, still having modem issues with
> kernel upgrades from woody, I suggest going to linmodems.technion.ac.il
> and download and use scanModem.  ScanModem has been greatly improved and
> pointed to my key problem.  There seems to be a lot of modem issuse when
> upgrading
> to new kernels especially above 2.6.8.  Wayne, thanks for the progress
> so far.
> Leonard Chatagnier

This exchange will be in the archives so those that search the archives
will benefit from it.

> PS-Finally, after a lot of viewing config files, making some change and
> still no success, I uninstalled sl0 via apt-get remove and my browser
> and email client now works under KDE.  Everyone note, scanModem told me
> what the problem was and should be of help to all newbies like me.
> Thanks for everybody's response and imput.  I needed it alll.

Keep at it.  You will get there and once you do you wil just love
Debian.

Wayne
--
Turnaucka's Law:
  The attention span of a computer is only as long as its electrical cord.