Re: [Fwd: KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse]

Leonard Chatagnier(lenc@ruralcomm.com) is reported to have said:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> Subject:
> KI-2.6.8-2-686 Upgrage And Modem Issuse
>
> *Resident PPP support modules are properly uncompressed .
> ----active COMM services are ------------
> sl0       Link encap:Serial Line IP
> tunl0     Link encap:IPIP Tunnel  HWaddr
> _*This COMM mode should be closed before using the modem,* or DNS services
> may fail._
> Be sure to read the section about ppp related modules and aliases in
> Modem/General.txt
> DEVPPP=crw-rw---- 1 root dip 108, 0 Mar 4 21:58 /dev/ppp*
>
> The tun10 and s10 entries shows up doing ipconfig but didn't before
> installing sarge. Would like to stop or kill it to see if it fixes modem
> but don't know how to stop it. My ifconfig output under woody is:
> ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# ifconfig
[--snip--]
> sl0       Link encap:Serial Line IP
>          inet addr:192.168.0.1  P-t-P:192.168.0.2  Mask:255.255.255.255
>          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
>          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
>          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:248 (248.0 b)
>
> tunl0     Link encap:IPIP Tunnel  HWaddr
>          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Mask:255.255.255.0
>          UP RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
>          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:0 errors:43 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:43 txqueuelen:0
>          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

I would suggest editing /etc/network/interfaces and commenting out the
above, unless you do need tunneling while your troubleshooting your
problem.  If you didn't have them enabled before, you shouldn't need
them anyway.  I have never used "Serial Line IP" or "IP Tunnel"
so ???

I know nothing about the ScanModem, so can't help there.  As far as
dialing in to your ISP, I use phpconfig.  In it you can enable
debuging and it could help with troubleshooting.

Is this new kernel an image or did you compile from source (Kernel
.org or Debian)?

Did you have a firewall setup with your 2.4 kernel?  The 2.6 kernels
use a different setup (iptables) then the 2.4 kernels did.  Make sure
your firewall is disabled to test if that might be the problem.

One more thought, did you install the module-init-tools package?  It
replaces the "modutils" package that was used in 2.4 kernels.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
Wayne

--
Turnaucka's Law:
  The attention span of a computer is only as long as its electrical cord.