Re: What wireless PCI card to buy ???

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Joe Potter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> What wireless card should one buy so that it works out of the box?

have $$$ and laptop/pc ready when you got to the store :-)

- see what the dude next to you is using
- buy the system preconfigured ( guranteed to work if its built right )
- give the wireless card and your laptop to the local pc gorilla and
  tell um to make it work

- note.. using the same foo-manufacturer's  Model 10,000 will not
  guarantee that "out of the box" will work, even if your buddy insists
  it worked for them, because "foo" manufacturers will change the
  chipset on the Model 10,000 wireless widgets every few weeks/months

- if you are building a wireless AP ..
	- you'd use a pci card that supports wep/wpa

	- hostap ( prism54 ) drivers are the only ones support
	wpa

	- madwifi supports wpa as a client only, but works great
	for wep-enabled ap's

- if you're building a wireless client...
	- you'd use any pci card, and not worry about gazillion
	features and problems

	- even broadcom chipsets have a 50/50 chance of working
	with ndiswrapper under any linux box

	- ndiswrapper will not support master mode, wpa, ...

> One
> that you can get in the USA at a large store? One for my desktop box
> that works well with Sarge?

stay away from anything that does NOT specify which chipset it uses

some willl say "linux supported" .. 95% will not

> Ideas?

see the list of compatible cards for each of the drivers

	http://Linux-Wireless.org/Drivers

google: wireless pci card
	wireless usb device

=======

when you find one that works ... let the folks that maintain teh drivers
know so they can update their list of tested/supported devices

c ya
alvin