Re: wireless PCI card

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Jason Rennie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get a Hawking Tech. HWP54G-CA PCI wireless card working
> with Debian Sarge.  I've successfully compiled and loaded the
> ndiswrapper kernel modules.  Also, debian auto-magically loads the
> prism54 and firmware_class modules.  But, it won't work.  I've
> included below what I think is all the relevant information.  Any
> ideas as to what I might try would be very much appreciated.

it's an intersil chipset ( a good thing )... which uses the hostap
( prism54 ) drivers if its those chipset, which it sounds like it is

using ndiswrapper would be like using elmers glue to hold 2 pc's together

> jrennie@syrah:~$ lspci -v
> [snip]
> 0000:00:0b.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890 [Prism GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)

since its detected ... you're in good shape

the problem is tthat you did nto configure your wireless network
variables

what is in your /etc/network/ directories

> jrennie@syrah:~$ lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
> ndiswrapper           100852   0
..
> prism54                45932   0 (unused)

don't use ( very bad) ndiwrapper ... its conflicting with your autodected
( good ) prism54 drivers

> jrennie@syrah:~$ sudo ifup eth1
> Ignoring unknown interface eth1=eth1.

and where is eth1 defined ??

> jrennie@syrah:~$ sudo ifup wlan0

and where is wlan0 defined ??

-- you cannot arbitrarily create device names

> jrennie@syrah:~$ more /etc/network/interfaces
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface