Network - interfaces problem

Hello everyone,

I found this mailing list this morning and looked through the March 2005 entries but didn't find an answer to my problem.  Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place.  Will try to be brief ... here goes:

Have a standalone PC at home I've set up as a dual boot with Grub to Sarge and Windows XP.  I installed Sarge in Nov-Dec last year with no problems.  Everything fine with the Debian sarge side until I went in as root last weekend and ran an apt-get update which did its thing and offered no error messages or warnings as it finished.  I've done that many times before!

Have to work to a Microsoft shop - nobody knows what Debian means here.  Cannot get back to my home PC until late at night or early a.m. Can't remote to it.

The problem is I can't get my eth0 (3Com509c card) to come up suddenly now.  No pipe on PPPOE works now - no internet.  I get that inexplicable SIOCADDRT error with "network unreachable" ... I can eliminate that message by going into the /etc/network/interfaces file and removing some of the lines under auto eth0 inet static but still no connection.  It's a DSL modem -- it's just a loopback setup with a single card.  Ifconfig reports no activity over eth0 but ok over lo.  Pppd claims it cannot find a password in eth0??   The card works fine on the Windows side, as it had been on Debian before I ran that last apt-get update.  "Ppp-on-boot is deprecated"  -- remember seeing something similar to that initially reported.

I tried to using a "mapping" line to a get-mac-address script by placing a line in /etc/network/interfaces but that didn't work either.

It's almost 10 a.m. on the east coast now.  Happy to answer anyone's questions concerning this tonight or early a.m. tomorrow.

Guess you can see my lack of Unix/Linux expertise - finally, I'd love to find out how to pause the verbose messages that rapidly scroll down the screen when Linux boots up.  Remember Red Hat 7.2 being a big more [ok] forgiving - you could read most of those.

Sorry for such a lengthy post.  If anyone can point me to proper tweaks and fixes I'd truly appreciate it.

Nick Sequino

Donnelley Marketing

InfoUSA

470 Chestnut Ridge Road