RE: log checker

On Monday 14 March 2005 19:15, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> | I have logcheck installed.
> |
> | You essentially get shown the entire syslog because there are no rules
> | for many messages.
> |
> | I would rather not become an expert in rule writing, trivially though it
> | may be.
> |
> | Is there a log checker that writes these rules itself after I indicate
> | which messages are OK, so my interface with it is much simpler?

I get the whole shebang on the reboot run, on startup.
The period checks are much briefer.

Note that for each catagory, there are rule files for individual log-producing
apps and also ignore files. These consist merely of regular expressions. So
it is not such a big deal to filter out messages you do not want to see. More
of a trick to figure out which ignore file in which to place the exclusion
(trial and error or try 'em all.).

Did not really take me a long time or a lot of effort to set up logcheck to
give me what I want.