Re: Disk Full issue

> I came in this Monday morning to find some problems on my debian server
> because the disk is full.
>
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p1       256149    256149         0 100% /
> tmpfs                   453372         0    453372   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p9      1831597    319589   1414293  19% /home
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p3     22119564   1374052  19621880   7% /srv
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p8       367063      8322    339158   3% /tmp
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p5      4807072    769760   3793128  17% /usr
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p6      2883376    289116   2447792  11% /var
>
> I can't seem to think of anything unnecessary that may be eating up the
> space, perhaps I just made it way too small?

No, the size is fine for a root. Any chance the tmp or var filesystems
somehow got unmounted and remounted with the system active? Or the system
having been brought up with one of these unmounted in the past? Another
possibility is a large code dump.

> Can anyone think of a common offender I should be tracking down, or is
> there a way to increase this partition without losing all my data?

Look under the mount points. One way to search the root for the problem
without descending into the other filesystems, and having the mount points
of those filesystems uncovered by the mounts is this:

1) Export the root to some other machine you trust by NFS, with root
   access. I am _assuming_ you use the _kernel-based_NFS_server_.

2) Mount the root on /mnt on this other machine and do in it a

	du -sk * .??* | sort -n

   This will give the occupations of all the possible directories and
   order them by size.

Be appropriately careful with all this, of course. You are dealing with
the root of the server, with root access, in this other machine. The sum
of all the sizes shown should give you the 256 MB of occupation and any
abnormal occupation should become obvious. If you have to, descend into
the offending subdirectory and repeat the probe. If there is anything
hidden under a mount point on the server, it should appear inside the
mount point on the other machine.
							Cheers,

        Jorge L. deLyra,  Associate Professor of Physics
            The University of Sao Paulo,  IFUSP-DFMA
       For more information: finger delyra@latt.if.usp.br