Re: network configuration for non root users

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 13:17 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:

> I was just wondering if there was some accepted means of assigning the
> various network command to a group and making the "bob" user belongigng
> to that.
>
> I am so used to administering machines that I quite often type ifconfig
> as bob and am annoyed by not having /sbin on it's path and not being
> authorizied to execute that. I then follow with sudo which fixes things,
> but it would be more natural if bob could use ifconfig, iwconfing, ifup,
> ifdown etc etc.
>
> Hope I managed to explain myself.

Add yourself to the sudo group, then create aliases of the programs as
sudo versions. Adding yourself to sudo means there is no prompt for your
password. That way even, if baddies get in, the changes some other
suggest won't be needed and therefore helps keep you safer.

For regular user do these,  ifconfig == sudo /sbin/ifconfig

and so on in your .bashrc

example:
	alias ifconfig='sudo /sbin/ifconfig'

No need for the arguments as it is just a substitution of ifconfig.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux