debian amd 64

Hi Everyone!

I was catching up on some readings and came across
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/12/msg00186.html

I'm not sure but with Intel going to start releasing 64bit CPU's, in
the future won't most CPU's be 64 bit?(most server CPU's are, and now
with amd and Intel 64 bit they are going to become more wide spread).

I understand that the debian folks are working on it but I remember
reading that redhat and suse already say they are 64bit ready.  So my
question is,  Do you think with the growth of the 64 bit processors,
debian is limiting itself by not including it?

I love debian, its the best OS in the world, and I promote it like
crazy(I have converted a few other Linux distro users already :-) )
but with many people wanting debian to get into the corporate
environment, it seems like it will be harder without supporting 64 bit
hardware.  I mean as prices drop and 64 bit gets more accepted, IT
managers are going to want to make the most of their hardware(i
remember reading someone on this list, refer to running a 32 bit os on
a 64 bit cpu, like "driving a 6 speed car, but never going above
second gear").

I'm not trying to get anyone upset or anything, I am just wondering if
anyone else thought this may hinder debians growth in the corporate
world?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

--