Re: When will the amd64 port be stable?

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 12:36:17PM -0500, Brian Chase wrote:
> Can someone involved with AMD64 port development please get a deployment
> schedule posted on the debian website for when a "stable" release of
> Debian AMD64 will be ready?
>
> The install process is not suitable, and leads me to believe that my
> problems will only begin with the difficulty of installation.  We need a
> finished product!
>
> Debian enthusiast
> not a developer, but see alot of value in Debian's way of doing Linux

Well as far as I understand it, Debian has said that amd64 will not be
an official port in sarge, which means the first official stable to
include amd64 will be etch, which at current release schedules is likely
to occour sometime around 2007/2008. :)  Of course there is quite likely
going to be unofficial sarge release made (about 99.99% sure) for amd64
which should work quite well.  Not sure debian will officially support
multiarch until etch, given I don't think ppc/ppc64, mips/mips64,
s390/s390x or any of the other 32 and 64bit enabled archs have sorted
out how they are going to handle it perfectly either.  Maybe I am wrong
and some of them do have full 32 in 64bit support cleanly.