Re: problem with X Windows

On Friday 11 March 2005 01:57 pm, Max AtYahoo wrote:
> I'm installing Linux for the first time.  I used the
> netinst, with the desktop package in tasksel.
> Everything seemed to go fine.
>
> There didn't seem to be any X Window system installed,
> though, so I started doing apt-get x-window-system,
> apt-get x-window-system-core, and a few others (and I
> think this is where I went wrong...).
>
> Anyway, now I get the graphical login, but after that
> I just see the default X Win "desktop" pattern and the
> "X" cursor.  I can get a few menus by clicking the
> left button and both buttons, but if I move the mouse,
> the menu disappears, and I can't select anything.
>
> That's about it - I can't get it to do anything else.
>
> Control-alt-backspace does kill the xserver, but it
> just sends me back to the graphical login.
>
> So:
> 1.) How do I get back to the text prompt so I can do
> something again?
Forgot to answer this in the first email.  I don't remeber how you kill X with
no window manager installed, but once you have one, you get to a term (either
open on in your favorite wm/de and su to root, then /etc/init.d/gdm (or kdm)
stop (options or start/stop/restart).  To start again type gdm (or kdm)
enter, or /etc/init.d/gdm (kdm) start.  Or use ctrl-alt-F1 or any other F1-6
to get to a vertual terminal and issue the same commands as above.  You can
also use this to get to a vertual terminal and run a gui at the same time.
ctrl-alt-F7 will bring you back to the gui.  You aren't in windows any more!
You can even run more than one gui as more then one user if you wanted to!