Re: Supposedly Simple KDE/Kate Question

On Friday 11 March 2005 07:33, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> Is there any kind of keyboard shortcut to move from the edit window to the
> console (or to the file listing pane) so I can move from one pane to
> another without having to move my fingers from the home keys and all the
> way to the mouse?  It's all in one window, so I can't just alt-tab or
> anything.

Hmm..  Alt+Ctrl+Left (switch tool view) will jump from the editor to the tool
docks (one of which is the command line).  But it's really intended for
cycling through the different docked views, so you might need to press it
more than once to get to the right view.  If you can disable the other views
somehow (I can't find an option, but you may be able to build kate without
them), then it would work fine.  Similarly, F8 (next *file* view) will get
you back, but may not be at the file you want.

Like most other KDE programs, kate's abilities can be used in scripts from the
command line, via dcop.  You might check through what interfaces it gives to
see if there's anything relevant provided.

Another option would be to code a kate plugin.  KDE comes with templates for
it, and it's not a massive function, so it might be reasonably easy.  Not
sure there.

For both dcop and the plugin route, one simple approach might be to simply
automate that switch tool view command so that you keep doing it until the
current tool is the command line.

Another option might be a program to replay mouseclicks in a window.  I'm sure
I've heard of one program that can do this.

Finally, you could simply shrink a terminal window to a few lines at the
bottom of the screen, with kate above it, but keep them both on a dedicated
desktop so nothing else interferes with alt-tabbing.  Back in my Amiga days,
I used to code like that all the time: one window for the editor, one for the
terminal, both  nicely butted together on the screen, with alt-tab between
them.  Between that, a great editor, and other nice, fast tools, I've never
been more productive.  One of these days, I'll regain that efficiency on
Linux.  Somehow ;)

--
Lee.