Re: Can't Create Child Process - No Usable X11

On Thursday 10 March 2005 01:03 pm, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> writes:
> > [sarge/testing;  2.6.8-1-686]
> >
> > I am currently unable to run 2.6.8 and X11 with 'xterm's and other
> > graphical applications though I get the 'gdm' initial screen and login.
> >
> > The exact error message dialog from what appears to be a Gnome
> > terminal (though I'm using KDE sessions) says:
> >
> >    There was an error creating the child process for this terminal.
>
> Did you recently update udev? I had a similar problem recently with udev
> because udev had changed the configuration files (it no longer uses the
> permissions.d directory).  What does /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules points
> to?  The format of the rules files got changed when the permissions
> files got removed.
>
> --
> John L. Fjellstad
> web: http://www.fjellstad.org/          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I had to add a second "mountvirtfs" to the /etc/rcS.d directory to fix my
problems with udev and xterm.  udev unmounts devpts and it needs to be
remounted after udev is started.

check the /etc/rcS.d directory.  it should have two links similar to:
S02mountvirtfs
S36mountvirtfs

if necessary (as root) do:
cd /etc/rcS.d
ln -s ../init.d/mountvirtfs S36mountvirtfs

Eric Brown