Re: Apt-get question (reverting a install)

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:14:56AM +0000, Didster wrote:
>  I'm trying to figure out a way of rolling this back to what it was
> before.  When I do apt-show-versions it shows all the unstable
> packages.  First, I tried removing the unstable lines from
> sources.list, then doing apt-get update.  When I have done that, and I
> do apt-show-versions it now says "No Version Available" for all the
> unstable packages.  An apt-get install on any of them just says sorry,
> you have the latest version.  An apt-get install package=version seems
> to work, but basically says its going to remove half the system (one
> of the packages upgraded to unstable was libc6???)

If you want apt to downgrade packages, you have to set the pin-priority
to >1000. i.e. your /etc/apt/preferences should look something like:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1001

The only problem I had when I did the same thing was that I had already
built a kernel against the new libc6, so I had to install another one
and reboot before downgrading everything.

The lowdown on the Pin stuff can be found here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-pin

Jon Tibbetts