Re: ALSA: XMMS works after alsaconf - after reboot XMMS hangs again

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:30:11 +0100, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> When I do "alsaconf" XMMS works, but after rebooting it freezes when
> trying to play a file. "alsaconf" again and it works.

Probably a program such as esd or arts opens the sound device and prevents
xmms from accessing it at the same time.  Running alsaconf does
"/etc/init.d/alsa force-unload" which kills that program; then xmms can
open the device.

Assuming that esd is the one opening the device, you should select the esd
output plugin in xmms.  Then it won't block trying to play.

--
Thomas Hood