Re: ssh login group

Luis Fernando Llana Díaz wrote:
Hi all,
  I am working in a machine and I belong to several groups on that machine.
Each group corresponds to a project and they are controlled with cvs with ssh
protocol.

  The problem is he following: when I submit a file to the project the
resulting file in the cvs tree belongs to the user's default group, not to
the group of the project. That is logical because when I login with
    ssh user@host
the group selected when I create a file the default one. This is very
problematic since I have to change manually the group in the cvs subtree each
time I submit a file.

No.  This is not logical.  You (or your cvs repo admin) should give each
directory the desired group ownership (chgrp -R <groupname> <dirname>)
and then set the setgid bid (or sticky bit, if you prefer) on each
directory (chmod -R g+s <dirname>).  I am assuming that the directories
are already group writeable.

With this setup, there is no need to concern yourself with which group
you are identified with by default.  As long as each user is the group
(say cvsusers), they will have write access to the various directoies
in the repository.  This mechanism allows you to have a certain degree
of control over who can commit to what parts of the repo.  You can
create groups project1, project2 and project3, assigning the appropriate
ownership to which ever directories you like, and then only the members
of project1 can commit to projects owned by project1, and so on.

  The question is if I can change that behavior: is there a way to choose the
group? that is, is it possible to do something like: ssh user.group@host?
No need.

-Roberto

--