Re: Openoffice 1.9.79 (2.0 beta rc) for Debian

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 13:25, Bob Alexander wrote:
> John van Spaandonk wrote:
> > As I posted to this list a week ago, look at
> >
> > ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/680/
> >
> > And download the latest relese (Pavel is at m84) currently.
> > He supports deb in lots of languages.
> > And be sure to report errors at openoffice.
> > I know of one: the fonts in the menus are much to big.
> > To see what I mean look at
> > http://www.van-spaandonk.nl/Openoffice.org/Openoffice fonts too large.png
>
> John,
> sorry if you get this multiple times but I was sure I had replied but
> nothing comes up onth elist :(
>
> Thank you. Your hint worked very well.
>
> I was i a deadlock situation since I have concluded that if you open a
> 2.0 beta presentation with Debian's 1.1.3, edit and save, the file gets
> corrupted and cannot be opened again (in 1.1.3).
>
> So I am using your 2.0 beta packages to edit the file.
>
> I still have to use 1.1.3 to SHOW the impress presentation since all
> fonts in the 2.0 beta look very very bad !!!
>
> Known fixes for that ?
>
> Bob
>
> PS The default for those packages in Czech ! Had to install the en
> langpack :)

Hi Bob

Great that things are working for your!
Note that the file format changed between Openoffice 1 and 2, the new
version uses the opendocument format.
You can let OpenOffice 2.0 also save in Openoffice 1 format, if this
does not work then it is a bug.

The packages are made by Pavel Janik, see his weblog for information about
upcoming debian packages:

http://blog.janik.cz/

He is a tsjech so he always starts with the cz build,
but the rest is ready now. It usually follows a couple of hours after
the cz build.
I am currently using the english version which you can find at

ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/680/SRC680_m84/Build-1/OOo_SRC680_m84_en-US_native_LinuxIntel_install_deb.tar.gz

sorry for the long line!

Don't know what language you want but there are lots at Pavel's ftp site.

I don't have problems with the fonts.
I installed the fonts from msoffice in my unix environment.
There are also some free ms fonts available, which you can use.

Hope this helps,

John