Re: IBM Server supported by Debian?

Lee Braiden <jel@tundra.ath.cx> wrote on 08.03.2005 14:43:32:

> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 13:30, Rishi wrote:
> > I wanted to buy this IBM Server...  xSeries 236 8841-11A
> >
> > The IBM website says that only Red Hat and SUSE are supported.
> >
> > Has anyone bought a similar model and installed Debian on this? Any
> > thing I should be concerned about.
>
> I've installed debian on ONE xSeries machine, without any trouble atall.  Not
> sure what model number it was, but that model looks familiar.  Basically,
> look up the hardware for it, and see if each part has Free drivers for Linux.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, manufacturer support is for getting new
> parts easily,
> though.  For software support, just consult the debian folks :)

The thing is, that not the hardware makes the troubles, but the software, ibm sells.
I managed to get many things to work on debian, but whenever I talk to ibm emploeyees all i hear is:
"we support only redhat enterprise server and suse enterprise server"
So if you need support for your system, no one at ibm will help you. At least no one, I know...

But the hardware itself works very well.

bye,
Andy