Re: IBM Server supported by Debian?

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 13:30, Rishi wrote:
> I wanted to buy this IBM Server...  xSeries 236 8841-11A
>
> The IBM website says that only Red Hat and SUSE are supported.
>
> Has anyone bought a similar model and installed Debian on this? Any
> thing I should be concerned about.

I've installed debian on ONE xSeries machine, without any trouble at all.  Not
sure what model number it was, but that model looks familiar.  Basically,
look up the hardware for it, and see if each part has Free drivers for Linux.

As far as I'm concerned, manufacturer support is for getting new parts easily,
though.  For software support, just consult the debian folks :)

--
Lee.