mutt freezing + using 97% cpu intermittantly

Hi,

Mutt 1.3.28i (2002-03-13)

I'm running woody on a Compaq Armada laptop.

I've been reading my mail ok since I first installed Debian woody on
this laptop about 5 months ago. Now mutt is intermittantly freezing.
I have to switch to another console - run top - see that mutt is using
about 90-99% cpu -- quit top -- kill mutt.

mail is in maildir format.

ext3 filesystem.

It happens when reading debian-user mailbox. Sometimes by selecting
message in index, sometimes pressing 'd' to delete it.

seems ok if I scroll down a few messages

mmm ... just tried it again, + it freezes when selecting the first
message. Whats causing this? Lockfile probs? What diagnostics can I
do/

Recent changes
==============
Had to install postgresql from backport.org so I could restore a database
dumped from Debian unstable.

Could pg_autovacuum have something to do with it?

Summary
=======
- mutt freezes when pressing <enter> or 'd' on first message
- no particular message (have successfully deleted a problem message)
- reboot doesn't help, not that I thought it would :-)
- after killing it, all kepresses since freeze appear on the command
  line.

Just purged postgresql-contrib but it hasn't helped.