Re: Switching to X.org

On Monday 07 March 2005 14:54, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> Is there a documented way of trying X.org and if needed going back
> without breaking too many things ?

This is not entirely trouble free but ...

Copy /usr/X11R6 to somplace safe
Download, compile and install latest Xorg
Make the /etc/X11 link point to the xorg.
Restart.

Should work. Unfortunately, that install touches a load of stuff
outside /usr/X11R6 as well so you might want to find out what else and copy
as well. Another issue is that there are a lot of symlinks and I believe the
copy copies files rather than reassigning the symlinks correctly. I have
manually put a lot of them back after this experiment--you will be warned
about each set when doing routine Sid upgrades of related packages.

To go back, rename or remove the modified X11R6, rename the old one back,.
point /etc/X11/X to xfree86 and restart.

The DRI trunk is now Xorg based and if this is relevant to your hardware, you
might go with that and this might be the quickest and easiest try. Doing and
apt-get remove puts you back to xfree. Its xorg may or may not start due to
font and module issues. Their DRM module will compile and work just fine in
xfree.