Re: adding latex packages

On Sunday 06 March 2005 12:45, Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net>
(<[🔎] pan.2005.03.06.19.45.12.567314@reidster.net>) wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:20:10 +0100, Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:
>>
>> I would like to use more LaTeX packages downloaded from CTAN which are
>> not available as debian packages. [...]
>
> I just throw the .sty files into /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc and
> run texhash as root.

The "correct way" is to put the files required by each package and/or class
in its own directory.  The memoir class, for example, is supposed to go in

  /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/memoir

However, just because it's the "correct way" doesn't mean one must do it
that way.

> Seems to work; others have suggested editing config
> files, but believe they are already set up correctly by the debs.

They are.  The TeTeX configuration file already has entries
for /usr/local/share and ~/share/.  The only requirement seem to be running
texhash afterward.

It's also possible to configure a private TeX configuration: the TeX FAQ has
the details on all these methods.