Re: adding latex packages

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:20:10 +0100, Fabrizio Lippolis wrote:

> I would like to use more LaTeX packages downloaded from CTAN which are not
> available as debian packages. What is the correct way to install them on
> debian? For example I have seen some packages installed in
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex, should I expand my package in the same
> directory? Since files under /usr are handled by packages is it the
> correct way? I would be thankful if somebody could explain me something
> about this topic.

I just throw the .sty files into /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc and
run texhash as root. Seems to work; others have suggested editing config
files, but believe they are already set up correctly by the debs.

Here is an ls -R of my /usr/local/share/texmf:

  8 [~]$ ls -R /usr/local/share/texmf/
  /usr/local/share/texmf/:
  bibtex  ls-R  tex

  /usr/local/share/texmf/bibtex:
  bst

  /usr/local/share/texmf/bibtex/bst:
  misc

  /usr/local/share/texmf/bibtex/bst/misc:
  annotation.bst

  /usr/local/share/texmf/tex:
  latex

  /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex:
  misc

  /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc:
  alg.pdf  algorithm.sty    bibunits.sty  enumitem.sty  floatflt.sty
  alg.sty  algorithmic.sty  caption.sty   floatflt.ps   reid2.sty

HTH

Reid