minicom: how to send control -c to remote machine

hi,
I am using minicom to log on to another machine from my debian box.

When i run the ping command on the remote machine, and  type control c it
doesnt stop the ping from running. I need to control z then kill the process
while it sits in the background. I can't seem to find how to send the control
c interrrupt message.

The man page talks about sending a break message, this seems to be something
else (what i dont really know... I am familiar with break to get out of a
loop in c).

thanks,
Mitchell