grub vbe mode

I switched from lilo to grub, and am trying to set up the boot screen to fill my 1024x768 laptop screen. Under lilo.conf, I used to use a line like 'vga=791'. What is the equivalent command under grub for the menu.lst file?

I tried to google this and came up with the line 'vbeset 0x118', but this doesn't seem to work.

However, at the grub command line, I can use 'vbeprobe' to show my graphics card supports vbe modes, including 0x118, which using 'testvbe 0x118' shows it filling my laptop screen.

I'm using grub-0.95+cvs20040624-15 in sid.

Paul