Re: kernel-2.4.27 acpi not being found

Paul wrote:
I installed acpid on my laptop with the debian kernel-image-2.4.27-2-686 and a popup states that the kernel does not have acpi support and needs to be recompiled. It's true that 'cat /proc' does not show any acpi subdirectory, but:

root :~# modprobe acpi
modprobe: Can't locate module acpi

paul :~$ grep -i acpi /boot/config-2.4.27-2-686
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI=m
# ACPI Support
CONFIG_ACPI=y
[more kernel config]
CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set

How do I interpret this information? Is there something else I need to do to activate acpi in this stock debian kernel?

Do I have to recompile?

Paul

acpi is there, just compiled in, not as a module.

Either way, that's still odd that there isn't a /proc/acpi...

---
$ zgrep -i acpi /proc/config.gz
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_FAN is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_IBM is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
---

Things like this (in particular.. acpi, apm, filesystems, ide drivers, etc) I like to compile in because I know I am always going to be using them and not have to worry about forgetting to load a module.

However, that was from a vanilla 2.6.10, so there may be some other patch with the debian kernel-image which would effect this.